I recently installed the deb packages from Github for .net core 1.4 and associated tools. Straightforward install in a matter of minutes.
- Next step, into Visual studio code and initiate a new Mvc project
- Add nuget packages for EntityFramework core and EntityFrameworkcore for sql server
- Pull MSSQL server docker image, if necessary, and setup exported path folders for database files and password for connecting
- Start MSSQL server docker container
- Create appsettings.json with the connection string
- Create model(s) and dbcontext classes for the models
- Setup dependency injection and any initialisation code
- Create controller, views etc.. marking actions that use DI with the FromServicesAttribute attribute
- dotnet run and Have fun 😉
It seems a lot but actually takes very little time to get it working and Rails/Django (insert your favourite ORM here) has a very serious competitor on Linux now.
Now bring on some UWP implementation on Linux